Saturday, January 5, 2013

You can hear the music on the AM radio.

Explaining India to people who have never been to India is like explaining America to someone who has never been to America. How am I supposed to explain kolaches, fresh air, and personal space?

Sure, there are movies. Slumdog Millionaire. That almost made India seem fun. Despite all the tragedy, there will be a breakout group dance at the end of the day. Even worse, what if you watch Jersey Shore in India? America is full of struggling guidos with disproportionate body sizes and drinking problems.

In my previous life, I drove or rode in a car nearly every day. Now, the chances are few and far between. In Mussoorie, the only cars I ride in are "taxis" or sketchy vans that your parents would always advise you to never get in. The kidnapper vans take me from the bazaar to the high altitude of my home for around $2.40. In Delhi, the only taxi we usually ride in is to/from the airport or train station, if it's very early or very late. Otherwise, we depend on our feet, auto rickshaws, the metro, or a motorcycle.


Yesterday, I got to ride in a friend's car around Delhi. We drove around for the whole day, listened to the radio, and enjoyed a warm cozy ride. It was like I had been transported to another place and time. Sure, it was the same Delhi on the outside of the car: honking horns, pedestrians anywhere but the crosswalk, bikes hauling cargo bigger than the car I am sitting in, merging and turning without procedure. Inside the car, I was home. I didn't even care what was on the radio. I just wanted radio. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't write to my Indian friends because I'm so overwhelmed trying to explain my life in MN to them. Where do I start? I totally relate.

    ReplyDelete