Monday, February 9, 2015

Pumping up your tires.

My favorite part of riding a bicycle is when I've been riding around for awhile on low tires. I finally get my bike to the sport shop and have them pump them up for me. Suddenly, biking is the easiest thing ever. I go further. I go faster. I feel like an Olympian out there!

It's kind of like life. Every now and then we get a bit low and end up working twice as hard to go half the distance. Why do we do this? Why do we insist on driving on low tires? Part of the reason is because we are too lazy. Even worse, some of us don't even know that our tires are low. We are totally unaware to the signs and feedback from our bodies when they require maintenance. I'm not saying that you should go to the doctor and ask them to give you some botox and a pacemaker, but you can pump your tires in other ways.

Anwer has been in India for about ten days already because his Chinese New Year holiday is longer than mine. We've been separated by oceans on various occasions since the beginning of our relationship, but this was different. This was my first time being alone in China. I spent some time rediscovering Shannon time. I had to be more purposeful in my pursuits. I took a bicycle journey to Yangcheng Peninsula. I got lost. I found my way. I pretended I could read Chinese signs. I spent time skyping friends and reconnecting with friends from long ago. This did mean I was up later than usual because of time zone differences, but I still felt refreshed and inspired.





Keep your tires at optimal pressure.




A proper bike lane with kilometer markers, lanes, and rule following.


Why haven't I visited here before?




No comments:

Post a Comment