Friday, June 19, 2015

One Year in China

It's crazy to think that my first year in China is almost over. We leave in 6 hours to head to the airport to begin our crazy summer adventure, and I cannot wait to show Anwer everything!

This year has been another year of learning and challenges. Anwer and I moved to China and were no longer Mr. Anwer and Ms. Shannon. We left behind our Woodstock Family to explore what else was out there. Transitioning has been amazing and horrible at the same time. We live with plenty of water, heat, electricity, and no fear of predators. Although, it has not been easy to rebuild the network of support that we had in Mussoorie. We are accepting that Woodstock is the island. You can't go back to the island.

Looking back and reflecting on this year, here are some highlights, lowlights, and accomplishments:

  • I took on a Head of Grade position for a co-worker on maternity leave. I learned a lot about myself and what I hope to do in the future. 
  • We purchased land in Mussoorie!
  • Anwer began his Masters in Counseling in an online hybrid program from the US.
  • I joined an improv group and performed in my first show in June!
  • We moved apartments and now have an open kitchen and a real oven! We're probably going to get fat.
  • We continue to wrestle with the problem of pollution and how it impacts our lifestyles. 
  • Anwer is speaking Mandarin very well! I am not. 
  • We went to an island and travelled with Chinese strangers turned friends. 
  • Visiting our French Connection in Beijing! It's like a post-Woodstock support group in China. 



Visiting these fabulous people in Mussoorie! 



The remaining Oakland Getters Crew




Finishing in fourth place in the Suzhou Amazing Race with a team of newbies and non-Mandarin speakers!

Christmas in Minnesota!

The efforts of my best Halloween costume ever.


Being surrounded by millions of people all the time!

First visit to the Great Wall and a Half Marathon for fun!

International Family Day at SSIS

After my first improv performance!

Tomorrow, we head to Colorado for Anwer's week intensive course for his counseling program. Then we'll be in Minnesota, Madison, Chicago, and New York before leaving for India. More adventures coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment