Monday, November 3, 2014

It's a great day to run. It's a great day for the Amazing Race. It's never a great day for touch rugby.

We participated in the Amazing Race Suzhou last weekend. Anwer and I paired up with another new staff couple Bonnie and Kevin to take on the challenge. Bravely, we entered the race with no Chinese speaking members, but we were unafraid. The day started pretty easily with a mushroom challenge and ended with eating stink tofu. Ick. Our newness to Suzhou definitely slowed us down, but we managed with a fourth place finish, which impressed most. I think it's fair to say we'll be gunning for first next year!








This past weekend I got convinced to go to a touch rugby tournament in Shanghai. Earlier in the year, they requested female staff to join because it was a mixed division. I was like, sure, I'll try this out. So I managed to get to two practices and concluded that touch rugby was not very fun. I didn't know what I was doing, and no one was teaching me effectively what to do. My HOD was the person organizing the trip, and I tried to get out of it. I said I didn't want to go unless it was absolutely required. 

Next thing you know, it's 5:45 AM on a Saturday, and I'm waiting on a corner for a bus. We show up to the tournament, and I'm a bit shocked by how much better the other teams appear to be. When our first match rolls around, we realize that we are in fact playing an all male team in a mostly all male division. My face goes from annoyed to pissed in 0.2 seconds. Yay! Our team proceeds to get our butts kicked for the next five matches of the day. I managed to score once in a game, but the rest of the day was a miserable experience of just waiting for the bus to leave. 

Shanghai Burbs

Borrowed some shoes from a kid so I'd look more legit. 

oh hello pollution, so nice to see you!


The highlight of my week was probably my amazing Halloween costume. This is how it started:




And this is how it ended:


Cruising around on our e-bike! Enjoying the final warm fall days!


No comments:

Post a Comment