Tuesday, November 18, 2014

What do you eat?

I eat a lot of cereal. In college, I would usually have at least three kinds of cereal at a time. Cereal for breakfast. Cereal for lunch. Cereal for dinner. Cereal for snacks. I love cereal. I loved cereal in India where I drank whole milk that came from a carton that didn't require chilling until opening. I love cereal in China where the milk is closer to 2% and is chilled and is about double the price of milk in India and about the same price as milk in America. The cost of cereal here is outrageous. I pay about $4 for a standard size box of cornflakes. Chinese people do not like cereal. If I want to buy a box of imported Honeycomb or Honey Bunches of Oats, I'll be paying closer to $7. If I want to afford cereal, I go to Sam's Club, but they have for some strange reason stopped stocking corn flakes. 

Here is what about $17.50 will buy you in China:


I went to the supermarket Auchan (the one you can see out my apartment window) first and bought the homemade noodles you see in the bag on the lower left for about a dollar, that bag of dish soap, which I will put in our old bottle, for about $0.25, milk for $2, and cereal for $5--best I could do for that chain of stores. Then I stopped by my favorite fruit shack (about one long Chinese block from my house the other direction) where they cut my pineapples for me when I buy them and bought the bananas, apples, and oranges. They work in 500 gram units here (1.1 pounds), which is confusing because India sold by the Kilogram, and it took me awhile to realize that it's half that here and way more expensive. I paid for my fruit in change and brought my own bags-fruit guy was pleased! Then I walked about 20 meters around the corner to the veg shop and bought the carrots and cucumbers. Veg guy likes me also because I bring my own bags when I remember, and he always takes out the better carrots when I come. He tried to sell me fish a few times also, but I'm just not ready for that. AND, I carried it all in my 31 bag from Grandma! It can hold a lot of weight!

This is my favorite pumpkin dessert at my favorite Sushi spot.

We've also been eating a lot of pastries!











No comments:

Post a Comment