Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Indian Updates

Living life on a mountain in India certainly has its perks. While my salary is worse than working part-time at McDonald's in the states, it does allow me to live a fine life in India. We're currently in the process of hiring an ayah-someone to clean our house/possibly cook for us. This will cost me about $10 a month. I know, do I really need someone to clean up after me and cook my dinner? Of course not, but if this opportunity came in the states, it'd be hard to pass up. They encourage us to embrace the culture, so why not have someone do my dishes?

Another perk is the ability to have everything delivered to our door for about 50 cents or free! Just a bit ago, Katie and I ordered some groceries from the local grocer. Within 45 minutes we were feasting on ice cream with cookies and bananas. We even ordered some cheddar cheese, which was the most expensive thing on the list.

It's not all gumdrops and lollipops though. I do have to hike up 1000 ft to get to school. I have to make sure I don't get attacked by monkeys on my way. I also have to make sure my clothes and blankets don't get moldy from the monsoon.

India is full of surprises. I never imagined that I'd be eating ice cream and cookies that just got delivered. I also never imagined that I'd be teaching at the junior school (elementary). When I was hired, I was hired for middle school pe and health. Now as it turns out, I will be teaching no health, mostly junior school, and some senior school. It's India. You gotta roll with the punches.

I'm full of feelings of disappointment, excitement, and some sadness. I did go on my first run today to ease the pain. Ingrid and I got caught in a cloud and decided running on the road was no longer safe and headed back. As mentioned, the roads are crazy, but sometimes, I think they just get as close to hitting us as they can just to freak us out.

Congrats. I'm officially freaked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment