Saturday, July 30, 2011

puke and rally in Dehradun

Things have been moving along nicely at Woodstock. My schedule is almost complete. It is hardly ideal. At WS they run on 7-day-cycles. Most of the kids have PE 3 days/cycle. How the schedule is working out is leaving me with teaching some of those kids once/cycle. It is going to be incredibly difficult to learn names, assess, and just run a smooth unit with this kind of infrequency. So life goes on.

Last night was a social mixer for the younger staff. It was a good time. There was some dancing but mostly segregation of new staff and old staff. I'm sure as time progresses, they will let us in the exclusive circle. It was my first time drinking in India, and my first time hearing Lady Gaga-success.

This morning we headed to Dehradun to do some shopping to furnish our home. The school provides most basic things but takes most of it back in two months. This means buying everything from forks to bedding. I brought some of my favorite things, so I wasn't in too much of tough spot. I did buy a rug and some other miscellaneous decorative items. My main purchase last weekend was a washer/dryer. I just felt like there was no way I was sending my under armour gear to a dhobi to beat it on rocks and wait weeks for it to dry in the monsoon. No thank you.

So today meant more spending of money that should be saved for things like traveling or groceries. I also bought a couple kurtas from an Indian shop that I would compare to an H&M mixed with an Urban Outfitter. We got stuck in some severe traffic that resulted in us having to turn around in the middle of the road. We also got hit by a moped, but the real adventure was the drive down.

The drive from Mussoorie is about 30 km, and it declines about a mile in elevation. No big deal. Well, I had planned on taking some motion sickness pills before I left because I had been warned about the drive down being much worse than the drive up. I was fine on the way up, but I figured I should be prepared. Of course I forgot in the cluster of a breakfast of pancakes with ice cream and scrambled eggs with cheeeese. Well, shortly into the drive I realize my mistake. I was sitting in the far back with one of those seats that faces in, not forward. I started to feel a little woozy, but I thought I'd over power it...

I spent about 40 minutes focusing on not throwing up in the taxi. Once we got to our first stop I got out to get some air. I felt like throwing up more than ever before. After the banking crowd returned, Lindsay offered to go inside to the bathroom with me because I must of looked like I needed to throw up. We found our way through a bank full of Indian men to the bathroom. Indian bathrooms are not as clean as I'd like for throwing up, but you do what you gotta do. I managed to throw up my ice cream and pancakes, and of course, there's no toilet paper or paper towels or anything. It was a situation to say the least. I rinsed my face and mouth as best as I could without ingesting the bacteria-filled water of India. I used my dress to dry off. Then Lindsay came to the rescue with bottled water and gum. The rest of the ride was fantastic.

throw up in a bank in India: check

1 comment:

  1. BAAAAAAHAHAHA! good good times my friend, good times.

    ReplyDelete