Friday, July 22, 2011

Monsooning

I've finally made it to Mussoorie and am slowly adjusting to this monsoon business. The first couple days I was calling the monsoon bluff because it was raining sure but never enough to rain on my parade. Today however... Since it's Saturday, we've been given a day of freedom. I woke up around seven and finished the book I was reading before getting out of bed. This whole time I was thinking, I should go read out on our terrace. I of course don't and by the time I get out of my bed, it's raining cats and dogs with no signs of stopping. What an ideal time to start raining when we had all these plans of heading to the bazaar to do shopping.

My badger loving friend Katie and I moved into Midland Duplex. It's right by the girl dorms, which isn't ideal. It's also about 1000 ft vertical climb to the school. The perks however, are quite nice. It's a 3-4 bedroom house with one bathroom, a dining room, and a spacious living room. Originally, it was just me and Katie, but we invited Rebecca to join us after her living situation was less than fitting. So now it's me-PE and two art teachers living next to a couple other American girls who have yet to return from their break. I foresee a lot of fun to be had.

Our first night here was an adventure of the sorts. Upon arrival we were given buddies to help us adjust and figure out life at altitude. Our buddy gave us some general directions to his home where we were supposed to join him and a few others for dinner. After a little nap, Katie and I headed in a daze of sorts in the direction we thought was correct. After lots of doubt and hesitation we turned around and threw in the towel. Upon returning, we checked out a map and realized we had taken the wrong road to start with. Now let me remind you, we are still trying to come over jet lag, figure out how to walk up 1000ft without passing out, navigate trails, adjust to the water and food, and making sure we don't get attacked by any monkeys-it's not like we just walked a couple blocks and gave up.

Last night, we were rewarded for our sorrows and misery with an invitation to Rebecca's buddy's home. They were a lovely Aussie couple with two kids. We had some Indian wine and dined to some delicious food that was a mix of American, Thai, and Indian. Then for dessert we had pineapple upside down cake. Delicious. The kindness shown to us by the returning staff has been life saving for sure.

Things I never expected living in the mountains of India
-Falling asleep to the sounds of dogs barking and cars honking... really? Dogs are abundant in this area, but we are encouraged not to pet them. The care honking is due to people driving up the mountain and warning whatever may be right around the curve: animal, pedestrian, or car.
-Eating corn flakes. When we got to our house, it was furbished with various things and a few staple groceries: corn flakes being one of them.
-Most things being in English. Thank god, I can't imagine what cornflakes would look like written in Hindi.
-Being able to teach in the coolest gym I have ever seen-Pictures coming soon. There's a rock wall, squash court, weight room, and a space reserved for some gymnastics. For real.


No comments:

Post a Comment