Monday, September 3, 2012

Beef is not for dinner.

A lot of people ask me what I eat in India. Imagine if I asked you what do you wear in America. You wear clothes-what a dumb question. Well, I eat food.

Some days, I will be SUPER American and have things like pancakes, pasta, and potatoes. Other days, I eat less American and more native. I'll eat things like parathas, rice, dal, and butter chicken. Either way, I'm not starving. Let's be clear though: I am not eating beef.

Here's some photos of my latest cooking venture: parathas.

Flour + Water=Dough       Then you roll it out!


Put some stuffings inside: potatoes, onions, cheese, and some chilli.

This is where it looks a little less like Master Chef India and bit more like Crazy White Girl with a rolling pin.

Put some oil on and fry that baby!

So, that's almost how it should look. When you get it at a shop, it's always perfectly round, soft, yet crispy, and delicious. My version is not as soft, but it has a bit more cheese and love.


Some other things that I always think are funny is the wide array of American products I can get.


Syrup-from America about $5. Ketchup (or sauce, as they like to call it here)-from Mumbai about $1.35

I can get most things. Recently, it's been growing. I can get poptarts for about $6/box (I would never do that). I also finally saw Rice Krispies, only to find out that they are about $6/box also. Nope-not happening. They also have Ragu pasta sauce, Dr. Pepper, and other odd but great items shipped from America. It all comes with a price though. I know what you're thinking: You pay $5 for Aunt Jemina Syrup!!! I choose my battles, but sometimes you just need America in a bottle.

Buying Indian items is obviously a much smarter option. For example a loaf of bread is about 30 cents.


My milk comes in a box that doesn't need refrigerating until opened. What exactly are those creatures on the label?        Beats me. This box of milk costs me about $0.90.

This is the inside of my fridge. Everything is from India except the Ragu ($4-from America) and Mayonaise ($3 from Holland). There's some cheeses (mozeralla and cheddar), which aren't too bad. I also never knew how tiny the bananas are here until I was home over the summer. I never imagined getting full from a banana, but America proved me wrong.

Another thing I love to tell people about is the eggs. I don't keep them in the fridge. They never get cold. Isn't it amazing?? And I'm still alive. The only thing I don't like is how "fresh" the eggs are. Sometimes they come with feathers and chicken poo still attached. I think I pay about $2 for 30 eggs, poo and feathers included.

I hope you're hungry. I hope you go eat a hamburger with cheese and bacon on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment